Are there effective alternative therapies for pku?

Dr. Wlodzimierz Wisniewski
Pediatrics - Neonatology

In brief: No

The only way to treat pku or rather to prevent symptoms of this disease is proper diet eliminating certain aminoacids from the diet.
To prevent malnutrition you need to discuss this diet with specialist in metabolic diseases and dietitian.

In brief: No

Dr. Wlodzimierz Wisniewski
Dr. Wlodzimierz Wisniewski
Pathology

In brief: No

I am not sure I understand your question.
If you neglect the special PKU diet, your child will pay for your mistake by getting permanent brain damage. Anyone telling you otherwise is your worst enemy. There are a variety of complementary treatments that have been offered for brain-damaged children from whatever cause; I can't address whether any of them work. Please be careful.

In brief: No

Dr. SG Erman

In brief: Diet

Treatment for pku is based on diet.
There are no 'natural' remedies. Treatment involves a diet that is extremely low in phenylalanine, particularly when the child is growing. The diet must be strictly followed.

In brief: Diet

Treatment for pku is based on diet.
Dr. SG Erman
Dr. SG Erman