Doc ordered brain MRI for lhermitte's signal. Wouldn't a spine MRI also be necessary to rule out ms?

In brief: Agree with you

I do appreciate the thinking that resulted in brain mri, but lhermitte's can be due to non-ms mechanisms such as b-12 deficiency, and would certainly add a cervical mri.
However, in defense of your doc, the decision could have been influenced by insurance restrictions. (choices mandated by non-physicians, who have gained control over the marketplace). Talk with your doc, as i think he means best.

In brief: Agree with you

Dr. James Cole
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Spine MRI

Lhermitte's sign is generally associated with cord compression in the neck from spinal stenosis.
A positive test causes electrical shocks down the arms and legs during the test.

In brief: Spine MRI

Dr. James Cole
Dr. James Cole
Dr. Eric Weisman