A friend was just diagnosed with norwalk virus infections, is that a serious condition?

Not generally. For people in otherwise good health, and not at extremes of age, norwalk virus causes about a week of misery, with abundant nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. It can lead to dehydration. People with underlying health conditions, taking other meds, may be at increased risk for problems; dehydration, inability to take meds, etc.
Not usually. Norwalk-like viruses produce a non-inflammatory watery diarrhea which is generally self-limiting and from which most people recover uneventfully.