I hardly ever have a bowel movement until a few day before my period is this ok ?

In brief: Never

The garden rule. You should poop any day you eat.
If you are not, you need to seek out a gastroenterologist and rehab your system. You likely have a dilated colon with poor emptying capabilities and may require a year or more of work to get it shrunk down & functioning better. A modified diet and some bowel supplements like Miralax along with other treatment can fix this.

In brief: Never

Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Emergency Medicine

In brief: No

Constipation can be very painful, isn't good for your body, and can turn into severe complications.
Use a stool softener like colace (docusate sodium) (not a laxative). Stay hydrated for this to work! take colace (docusate sodium) 100 mg twice a day for a few days. Then take it once a day. It's over the counter (no prescription needed).

In brief: No

Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Jane Van Dis