I am almost 50 years old. I drink 2 glasses of water beforedinner and 1 glass of water before sleeping. During night, i get up 3 to 4 times to pass urine. Is it normal?

Dr. Shariq Refai

In brief: Dont dink so much

Being hydrated is great and its good you drink water. You should drink about 8 glasses of water a day.
However if you are waking up in the middle of the night to urinate then you need to limit your intake of water previous to bed time. Try not to drink water 2 hours before bed time or if you do limit it. The closer to bedtime you drink fluids youll likely have to get up in the middle to urinate.

In brief: Dont dink so much

Dr. Shariq Refai
Dr. Shariq Refai
Dr. Otto Placik
You may need a prostate examination
Dr. Randy Nolf
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Thirsty?

If the water consumption is due to thirst you would be well advised to have a screening for diabetes.

In brief: Thirsty?

Dr. Randy Nolf
Dr. Randy Nolf
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Nightly urination

I agree with my colleague about the timing of your drinking water. But getting up that many times a night to pee (rather than just once) makes me wonder if you need your prostate checked for enlargement.
Is the increased urination is also going on in the daytime? Please check with your doctor on this -- and if leaving off the pre-bedtime glass of water helps, great.

In brief: Nightly urination

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
2 comments
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
Consider not drinking anything 2-3 hours before sleeping, and emptying your bladder before going to sleep.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Good plan -- and yet I'm still concerned that his prostate needs examination.
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Water too much?

I agree with my colleagues, but please do have checkup for diabetes & prostate problems, to be on the safe side.

In brief: Water too much?

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. James Lin
Urology

In brief: Here are some...

Yes, it could be normal for you if the voided urine volume from each voiding at night or in daytime is similar or more, but still with steady good flow and an emptying bladder.
Facts to know: As we age, the ability of kidney urine excretion and bladder holding urine does change and evolve as reflecting in how we void. More? Seek evaluation & counseling preferably by urologist being 3-dimensional.

In brief: Here are some...

Dr. James Lin
Dr. James Lin
Dr. William Forsythe