My wife and I have started hiking. Recently, after a 10 miler, she noticed the 2 smallest toes on her right foot become, on & off, numb. Possibilities?

Dr. George Valdez
In brief: Nerve
She has the toe equivalent of carpal tunnel, nerve entrapment/inflammation.
She needs to let it rest. Dont stop moving, but dont over use it. She can try anti-inflammatories, but if you're going to hike that much, make sure shoes are very well fitted, and listen to your body if it says 'too much'. If it's not improving within a few weeks, or happens more often, see a doctor.

In brief: Nerve
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. Jay Ryan
Podiatry
In brief: Neuroma
Neuroma is a likely cause, along with nerve impingement/neuritis due to her shoes.
It is easily evaluated in a doctors office (podiatry, ortho), but try something as simple as wider shoes initially. Orthotics can also rebalance the foot and improve overall position, which could diminish her symptoms.

In brief: Neuroma
Dr. Jay Ryan
Dr. Jay Ryan
Dr. Adam Levy