Why would I have been told specifically that I had epstein - barre virus and not mono.? Is that the yuppy disease of the 80s& is it now cfs

Dr. Patrick Hennessey
In brief: "mono" is vague
Many different infections cause the "mononucleosis-like syndrome" (including, unfortunately, primary HIV infection).
By doing specific testing, it sounds like your doc has ruled out (usually by doing a "torch panel" blood test, and hopefully HIV screening and PCR testing for hiv) the really other causes, and reached a specific conclusion about the cause and prognosis. And mono isn't same as cfs.

In brief: "mono" is vague
Dr. Patrick Hennessey
Dr. Patrick Hennessey
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Same
Epstein-barr virus is the causative agent of infectious mononucleosis.
Ebv can produce other conditions, but when someone tells you that you have infectious mono it is ebv.

In brief: Same
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Peter Kurzweil