Why do I get a cold when I start my period?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Vagal reflex

It could be that when your period starts you experience an episode of vaso-vagal syncope which can result in a drop in pulse and blood pressure, as well as increased perspiration - all of which you could percieve as feeling "cold".
Some women also have nausea which can also be caused by the vaso-vagal reflex associated with the menses.

In brief: Vagal reflex

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Stay healthy

During menses, the immune system is depressed, meaning you're more likely to catch infections such as the common cold (caused by a virus).
Keep your immune system healthy by getting plenty of rest all month long. Don't smoke, eat well, and get enough sleep.

In brief: Stay healthy

Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Vicken Poochikian