Why is it that for my first time having sex that my hymen didn't break but it was very painful when my partner tried opening me up?

Dr. Sarah Buchanan

In brief: First Time Sex

Sex for the first time is seldom comfortable, even when the hymen is torn.
The majority of women feel that the first few times having sex are more uncomfortable than not. The hymen can vary in how thin it is. This creates a tight area just inside your vagina that will cause alot of pain with sex. You might consider having an exam to determine if a surgical procedure needs to be done to help.

In brief: First Time Sex

Dr. Sarah Buchanan
Dr. Sarah Buchanan
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Normal

The vagina, including the hymen is usually very elastic and has the capacity to stretch without tearing.
The pain is very likely due simply to the stretching of the hymen. The hymen may not necessarily tear when you become sexually active. If your hymen did not "break or tear", it is just because your hymen is elastic enough to accomodate your partner without tearing.

In brief: Normal

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Hymens vary

Some hymens are thicker than otghers and do not tera.
Hymenal openings vary in size. Some hymenal openings may be too small for a tampon, others are wide enough or have been torn so that a large penis can enter without discomfort. Discuss with your gyn dr. If you continue to have pain or discomfort from a tight, thick or fibrous hymenal ring. This can easily be corrected.

In brief: Hymens vary

Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Jane Van Dis