Coughing up green phlegm after tonsillectomy? Im on day 3 and so swollen I can't eat, I have been told to eat because not doing so can cause infection?

Dr. David Kam
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Hydration

Pain reaches a maximum 3-4 days after tonsillectomy.
It is very important you take your pain meds so your can swallow fluid and electrolytes. Food is optional and most patients lose weight during the first post op week! call your surgeon if you are having problems! try not to spit (i know it hurts to swallow) as it will lead to dehydration!

In brief: Hydration

Dr. David Kam
Dr. David Kam
Dr. Terry Gaff
Emergency Medicine

In brief: See you doctor

Cough and inability to eat after a tonsillectomy may be signs of trouble and should be checked by your doctor today.

In brief: See you doctor

Dr. Terry Gaff
Dr. Terry Gaff
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine