Can an ECG or holter monitor pick up signs of coronary heart disease?

Yes, Sort of... Late. Ecg is a 10 sec. Printed tracing of voltage vs. Time comparing different combinations of 10 surface body locations. Holter commonly only 1 or 2 non-standard ekg leads recorded over ~24 hrs or longer. Since inner wall of heart muscle is most susceptible to ischemic damage, surface tracings rarely show clues (e.g. Qrs widening, altered waveform, arrhythmias) until CAD problems induce enough damage.
Yes and no. Advanced coronary disease can be present with a normal ekg. That said it is the go to diagnostic test for patients with acute coronary syndromes (heart attacks). Holter monitors are generally not useful but on occasion may display st segment abnormalities that may lead to diagnosis of coronary disease.
See answer. Essentially, if you have clogged coronary arteries, and you get chest pains, the ECG or holter that is monitoring your heart rhythm may show changes indicative of such. However, the best test for diagnosing coronary heart disease is a cardiac catherization. Best wishes to you.