I'm 22 and I have to go for my first pap smear! what should I expect?

Dr. Renee Harris

In brief: Easy exam

The doctor will talk to you first.
Then the examination will consist of checking your thyroid in your neck, your heart, lungs, brady (by feeling), abdomen and then the pelvic exam. That consist of examining the skin around your genitals then applying a small speculum ( the size of a tampon-or smaller if needed) into the vagina to see the cervix and brush it to do pap.

In brief: Easy exam

The doctor will talk to you first.
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Scott Beard
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology

In brief: Varies

You will get a pap smear done.
Hopefully the doc will explain beforehand what will happen and show you the speculum since its your first exam . If not i'd leave. To many docs are rude about a first pap exam.

In brief: Varies

You will get a pap smear done.
Dr. Scott Beard
Dr. Scott Beard
Dr. Kevin Olson

In brief: Professional exam

A medical instrument will be used to open the vagina, the cervix will be seen , cotton swab , soft fine brush and cervical "spatula" will be used to gently obtain samples.
An internal exam of your ovaries will be done. Nothing painful. Relaxation helps. Very important information will be obtained. More emotional thn painful, but a valuable test.

In brief: Professional exam

Dr. Kevin Olson
Dr. Kevin Olson
Dr. Adam Levy