Does vitamin B6 or B12 supplementation react with lexapro (escitalopram)? Do any vitamins or minerals for that matter?

Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: Yes and no

Lexapro (escitalopram) has no direct interaction with vitamin b6 or vitamin b12.
Deficiency of vit B12 can cause depression or even dementia among other things. The same holds for folic acid, another b vitamin. Sometimes we will prescribe vitamin b6 for women who have a depressive reaction to the Progesterone component of birth control pills. L-methyl folate is used to boost the effects of drugs like lexapro (escitalopram).

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
2 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
And the l-methylfolate does not have to be the prescription form. Metabolic Maintenance, Thorne Research, and others make excellent products also. Replenishing B12 at the same time is a good idea too.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
I thank my colleague for the resource!