Should the level of hCG my body be zero? What would cause it to be 3.8 one week before my expected period?

Dr. Bac Nguyen
In brief: Less than 5..
<5 is normal for nonpregnant status.
..It could be zero or undectable if nonpregnant... So, 3.8 is stil normal... Good luck.

In brief: Less than 5..
<5 is normal for nonpregnant status.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Rifat Naghmi
In brief: HCG level
Urine and blood samples of non-pregnant women have HCG level of less than 5.
After conception and implantation, levels of HCG will increase rapidly in a normal pregnancy.

In brief: HCG level
Dr. Rifat Naghmi
Dr. Rifat Naghmi
Dr. Douglas Lawson
depends on the lab you use. our lab for example considers any hcg above 2 to be positive, the older standard lab was 5 though. you can produce small amounts of hcg, however you need to check with your doctor as to what standard hcg for negative is being used. most likely it was normal. Some slight increases in HCG can be a menstrual miscarriage.
Dr. Adam Levy