How do you know if your baby will have a head full of hair at birth andcan you tell by ultrasound pucs?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Hair ==>Cute images

Let me start with this: looking for hair is not a reason to do or prolong an ultrasound.
However, as someone who has done countless ultrasound studies, I have seen fetuses with hair on their heads floating in the fluid. We can sometimes estimate whether there is a full head or only ring-like "monk hair" toward the end of pregnancy. The fetal pictures are cute, but the newborn ones are even cuter!

In brief: Hair ==>Cute images

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Amount of hair on a newborn's head depends not on the parents' adult hair but on the hair the parents themselves had at birth. Which is yet another fun side to taking care of two generations of patients.
Dr. Clarence Wimberly

In brief: Babies hair

This question does not come up frequently but the easy answer is you cannot tell before delivery and ultrasount is not that sensitive to tell.

In brief: Babies hair

Dr. Clarence Wimberly
Dr. Clarence Wimberly
Dr. Susan Bezecny

In brief: Can't tell

Ultrasounds don't show hair growth.
Hair in utero is wet with amniotic fluid. When the baby "crowns" at delivery the hair is the first thing you see, so the obstetrician oftens says "lots of hair!" even before the baby is delivered.

In brief: Can't tell

Ultrasounds don't show hair growth.
Dr. Susan Bezecny
Dr. Susan Bezecny
Dr. Rama Harouni

In brief: Interesting question

You can tell on ultrasound if there is hair on the baby's head.
However the quality and the quantity of the baby's hair is not well known until the baby is born and grown. You can better guess by looking at the parents. Genetics are the best determinants of the child's features.

In brief: Interesting question

Dr. Rama Harouni
Dr. Rama Harouni
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham