My doctor said he is sending off stuff removed from my prostate during surgery to the lab what are they looking for?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Anything

Most tissue removed during surgery is sent to the patholgoy department for evaluation.
Often there is concern for infection or abnormal cells, including cancer. My guess would be that your doctor wants to know for sure whether you have cancer in the prostate, or any other abnormality that may need further treatment. The pathologic evaluation will answer those questions.

In brief: Anything

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Pathology evaluation

For a doc to send a biopsy of prostate to the lab--most likely is to make sure whether or not it is cancerous.
For this organ, there isn't much else that needs to have a biopsy done. It is certainly a high-anxiety time for you waiting for the result... Good luck to you...

In brief: Pathology evaluation

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery