We come from a religious background where treatment is based on faith and home cures. What can we use to treat coughing up blood?

Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Not Much
I respect your beliefs, but since you are asking this question, it seems that you have exhausted faith and home cures.
The are no real home cures for coughing up blood, which can be life threatening. See a doctor for your options.

In brief: Not Much
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Coughing up blood
can have some very SERIOUS causes.
If infectious etiology - you could be exposing others to pathogens. If you are coughing up frank blood, that could be something that is life threatening. I very much believe that faith has a big place in health & wellness. In a case such as yours, I believe that medical intervention is also essential. God often helps doctors to help other people. Take care.

In brief: Coughing up blood
can have some very SERIOUS causes.
Pathology
In brief: Forgive my frankness
Again. I'm going to assume you're not smokers, hence this is tuberculosis until proved otherwise.
And if it is, you are going around placing everybody you meet at risk of catching it. As soon as somebody else realizes this, you can be tested without your consent. You can't be force to take treatment, but you can be confined to an isolation ward until you wise up and act responsibly.

In brief: Forgive my frankness
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Etiology?
Please consider seeing an md/do soon! hemoptysis (coughing up blood) could be many things, and they could be very serious.
Examples are pulmonary embolus (blood clot in lungs); lung cancer; bleeding disorder; lung infection; heart failure; other trauma. Let me know your other symptoms, and we can try to narrow down the cause.

In brief: Etiology?
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
In brief: Proven vs unproven
By definition, "alternative" is different than modern western medicine.
Generally any drug, herb, treatment, or procedure that stands up to rigorous scientific scrutiny is included in modern medicine. The problem is that many alternative practices, herbs etc do not stand up to scientific scrutiny and cannot be shown to work. They therefore remain "alternative". Soup may comfort but not cure.

In brief: Proven vs unproven
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
3 comments
However, in Europe - herbs are recognized as medicinals.
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay
Many herbs are considered medicinal. Ayurveda, the ancient Indian school of medicine, is considered the "mother of all medicine". The philosophy of Ayurveda, that everything man needs to heal him/herself is provided by God in nature, underpins even much of what "modern" medical practitioners prescribe. E.g. aspirin is derived from the yew tree, whose bark was used to treat inflammation 900 yrs ago
Dr. Adam Smith