I've just been told I have aspiration pneumonia, should I be concerned?

Dr. Traci Buxton
Aspiration pneumonia is a serious but treatable lung infection which occurs after a foreign substance is inhaled into the lungs.
Antibiotics will usually treat the infection but it is also important to uncover and treat the unlying cause of the aspiration.

Dr. Traci Buxton
Dr. Traci Buxton
Dr. John Leander Po
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Context important
Aspiration pneumonia occurs when bacteria (bugs) are accidentally inhaled into the lungs, causing inflammation & damage (ex.
Inhaling vomit). The damage is higher in people with rotten teeth or gums (imagine-if these bugs can rot teeth- they do it to lungs too), causing potentially, a lung cavity unless treated with antibiotics that can kill microbes that can grow in oxygen-poor environments.

In brief: Context important
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine