What causes addiction to buying lottery tickets?

David Miller

In brief: Gambler's fallacy

The "gambler's fallacy" is the belief that "this time i'll win it big.
" for some folks, this is an irresistable urge that drives them to spend all of their money, whether it be on lotto tickets, at the craps table, slot machines or on sporting events. Groups like celebrate recovery and gambler's anonymous are very important to overcoming this. If this is you, seek help and support today.

In brief: Gambler's fallacy

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Another good one David!
Dr. Dheeraj Raina

In brief: Psychological +bio

Dr. Nguyen's explains well regarding the psychological underpinning of gambling addiction.
In addition, such an addiction often begins as a way to avoid positively coping with certain stresses in life. Finally, like all addictions, this one also works biologically by stimulating the reward circuit in the brain.

In brief: Psychological +bio

Dr. Dheeraj Raina
Dr. Dheeraj Raina
Dr. K. Olson

In brief: Random reinforcement

Unrealistic expectations that one will win.
The odds are very much stacked against those who "invest" in this manner. The widely publicized sensation around those that win can entice many. Gambler's logic is that, "if I have not won so far I am certainly due to win now." underlying impulse control disorders, bipolar disorder, attention deficit disorder, and substance abuse not infrequently comorbid.

In brief: Random reinforcement

Dr. K. Olson
Dr. K. Olson
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Addiction

Addiction to lottery tickets generally satisfies an impulsive personalities need for a quick high.
All the time spent thinking about winning temporarily lifts a person;s mood and provides a fantasy to provide superficial meaning to life. Best.

In brief: Addiction

Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli