Not sure why this happened, but doctor says I have amyloidosis. Am trying to figure out what it is before I tell my boss.?

Pathology

In brief: Abnormal protein

Amyloidosis is accumulation of abnormal protein in tissues.
It can be due to many causes, e.g., chronic inflammation, multiple myeloma, genetic predisposition, and in some cases without a known cause. It is a serious, though not acute, illness and can affect many organs like kidney, liver, heart etc. You should consult your doctor before talking to your boss.

In brief: Abnormal protein

Make sure you find out which type you have. There are about a dozen forms, each a totally different disease clinically. There are also localized forms that are really just curiosities. Good luck.
Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Protein deposition

Amyloidosis refers to the deposition of specific proteins (amyloid) into organs and tissues.
There are different types of amyloidosis (hereditary, infectious, inflammatory, neoplastic, age-related) and the prognosis and therapy is dependent on the cause of your amyloidosis.

In brief: Protein deposition

Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
Dr. Marsha Davis