My mother has complex regional pain syndrome. Does that mean anything significant?

Dr. Craig Morton
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

Complex regional pain syndrome (crps) is a chronic pain condition that can affect any area of the body, but often affects an arm or a leg.
Doctors aren't sure what causes crps. Some think this is problem with the sympathetic nervous system and others an autoimmune condition. Crps can occur after a minor injury or after nerve damage.

Dr. Craig Morton
Dr. Craig Morton
Dr. Cheryl White
Pain Management

In brief: CRPS can be serious

Complex regional pain syndrome can be serious and will likely result in loss of function, to a greater or lesser degree.
It can progress and result in serious medical conditions. She should get an evaluation promptly, and shold follow sound medical advice. I have seen patients who have crps who simply do not want to follow the advice and treatment and have permanent damage to their limbs.

In brief: CRPS can be serious

Dr. Cheryl White
Dr. Cheryl White
Dr. Brian Le
Pain Management

In brief: CRPS

Complex regional pain syndrome (crps) is a form of chronic pain that usually affects extremity.
Crps typically develops after an injury, surgery, but the pain is out of proportion to the severity of the initial injury.

In brief: CRPS

Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Clifford Gevirtz
Go to the RSD foundation web site for complete information.
Dr. Eric Weisman