How does the doctor know if the diagnosis is bone infection?

Exam, x-rays, labs. Pain, swelling, drainage, fevers, inability to walk, stiffness, lack of joint motion. Blood tests should be done and usually reveal elevated white blood cell count, elevated sedimentation rate, elevated c-reactive protein. Blood cultures and drainage cultures usually reveal the bacteria involved. Osteomyelitis is the technical term, and often requires hospitalization. X-rays can also help.
Bone infection. This can be diagnosed with different tests including an indium scan, mri, and blood tests.