Which treatments for blocked tear duct are most effective?

Dr. Ali Hallaj-pour

In brief: Massage & Patience

Your pediatrician will show how to massage the nasolacrimal duct.
The area to massage is on the side of the "nasal bridge." you can massage the are 3 times per day for 30 seconds each time. It is not very clear how effective massaging is but 90% of these blocked tear ducts resolve by 6 month of age, sometimes even without massaging!

In brief: Massage & Patience

Dr. Ali Hallaj-pour
Dr. Ali Hallaj-pour
Dr. Pamela Moore
If the blocked tear duct has not resolved by age 1 it may need surgery to correct the problem. If your baby continues to have this problem after age 6 months let your doctor know so a referral can be made to a Pediatric Ophthalmologist (baby eye doctor) to see if surgery is needed.
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Breast Milk--???

Dr hallaj-pour's answer and comments are right on.
An old home remedy which is safe and sometimes helps, is to put several dropsw of breast milk in the affected eye twice a day. I have no idea why this helps, but I have seen improvement in some cases.

In brief: Breast Milk--???

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Jonathan Jassey