Growing up I saw first-hand what it was like to have brain aneurysm. How can I avoid getting it like my parent?

Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: Developmental
Brain aneurysms are developmental abnormalities, occurring at the branches of brain arteries, where the internal elastic membrane is absent.
Their development is not under our control, but the one thing we can do is to make sure we keep out blood pressure in appropriate range.

In brief: Developmental
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Paul Slawek
Radiology
In brief: Good blood pressure
Most aneurysms are congenital and do no harm. Few are thought to develop spontaneously.
Trauma could cause one. Nothing can be done to stop the development of most aneurysms. Maintaining normal blood pressure will help prevent enlargement and bleeds in some cases.

In brief: Good blood pressure
Dr. Paul Slawek
Dr. Paul Slawek
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Talk to your doctor
Some brain aneurysms are from an inhereted condition, but most are associated with lifestyle risks like smoking, cholesterol and hypertension.
These ar ethe things you can control, so avoid tobacco, do regular exercise and control your cholesterol. If your older relative had the inherited type of aneurysm the doctors usually know at the time. Screening selected families may be appropriate.

In brief: Talk to your doctor
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Douglas Arenberg