What to do if I have a blood blister on my heel of my foot what do I do?

Dr. David Hardin
Wound care

In brief: Protect it

An unpopped blister represents a closed sterile environment.
Yes on occasion one can become infected then it is time to open it, however the risk of infection in a dressed open wound is still higher than that of an intact blister. Protect it well. The blister will gradually resolve with time. Check your shoe fit, may be tight, may have something in it.

In brief: Protect it

Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Depends

How big or small? Why did it occur? Any signs of infection? Generally, they are drained but not due roofed.
Always with a sterile instrument. If diabetic or immunocompromised do not attempt self treatment.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Aaron Lewis
Surgery

In brief: Blood Blister Heels

Blood blisters can happen from trauma or from bites.
Best at this time is to protect it. Leave it intact, most blisters will reabsorb and become calluses. Blood blisters indicate that the injury also may have caused damage to capillaries/ and or larger vessels. Sleep with heels off bed and wear shoes that don't rub on the heel. See a podiatrist to make sure there area no underlying causes.

In brief: Blood Blister Heels

Dr. Aaron Lewis
Dr. Aaron Lewis

In brief: Blisters

Are caused by friction so first find what is the irritant.
With a sterile needle you can pop the blister and drain it but leave the cover as a protective layer, cover with neosporin and bandaid. If pus is noted report it to your doctor asap.

In brief: Blisters

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman