My doctor thinks I might have brain cancer. Wants more info to confirm, but I am worried. What exactly is it?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Reason to worry...
Some cancers show up with the brain already affected.
..Small cell lung 1/5 patients do so. Others develop brain seeding symptoms later. Commonly we check if you have symptoms (weakness, seizure, personality change, lateralizeed weakness), but many look for brain metastasis before starting treatment. 100k cases/year. It's common.

In brief: Reason to worry...
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Larry Armstrong
The most common brain tumor over the age of 40 is astrocytoma. You need to be very aggressive in the pursuit of an answer as to whether you have brain cancer or not. Best of luck.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Get more detail info
Please discuss with your doctor your concern.
Did you have an MRI or ct scan of the head? What is your symptom? Cancer that is spreading to brain from other location of the body is more common that primary brain cancer. There are many things that can give you same symptoms as brain cancer . So, unless you have more test to confirm -you will not know exactly what it.

In brief: Get more detail info
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Eric Weisman