My sister was diagnosed with bladder cancer. What do I need to know?

Invasion of muscle. Assuming this is urothelial carcinoma, the most important issue is whether or not there is muscle invasion. One-third of all newly diagnosed cases of bladder cancer present with muscle invasion, which indicates more aggressive disease and requires either cystectomy or combination therapy with surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. Also, the grade of the cancer would be useful information.
The bladder holds. Urine, liquid waste filtered blood/plasma by the kidneys, so it is exposed to toxins and held until we void. Cigarett smoking is a risk. The lining may be involved before it invades into the bladder muscle. There ae treatments short of bladder removal if it does not invade the muscle. The standard for invasive cancer is surgery, + chemotherapy.
Bladder cancer. 2 big questions....How deep was the cancer, depth refers to if cancer invades the muscle....2nd issue is high grade or low grade, this refers to how aggressive the cancer cells are and the likelihood od spreading outside the bladder.....Treatments depend on this two critical factors.