My fiance has congenital heart defects and now I wonder what I am getting into. Will this affect his ability to work?

It depends! It depends on which congenital heart defects he has, what surgeries have been done to repair them, and what his current cardiac status is now. I recommend having your fiance schedule an appointment with his cardiologist, so that you can ask his cardiologist these questions.
Depends. This depends on what the congenital heart defect is, the severity of the defect, was it operated on early in life, does he need heart meds or further surgery.