My optician says I have cataracts, should I get a second opinion?

Dr. George Yang
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not necessarily

Everyone gets cataracts if you live long enough.
You are a little young to have cataracts, but assuming you do, just because you have one does not mean you need surgery. It's like a car window a day after a car wash. It's slightly dirty, but does not mean you need another car wash. As long as your optician is not suggesting you have surgery, don't worry about it.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. George Yang
Dr. George Yang
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Absolutely

Cataracts can be best diagnosed (and treated) by ophthalmologists who have an md degree and are fully qualified doctors.
Opticians and optometrists do not have this education although they may sometimes make the diagnosis when the cataract is advanced and obvious. So if an optician said you have them, get a second opinion especially at age 34.

In brief: Absolutely

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Keegan Duchicela