What's your opinion on treating bacterial infections?

Depends: Severe (meningitis, pneumonia) - no option except antibiotics. Localized abscess - surgical is usually best. Mild ear infection or bronchitis - may wait and see if it resolves without antibiotics. Strep throat - rare complications if untreated.
Narrow is the way. It is important to know what bacteria is causing an infection. The microbiology staff (unsung heroes) cannot only identify the bacteria but can inform the doctor about which is the best antibiotic to use. Therefore, we are able to narrow our antibiotic coverage to target this bacteria.