How is testosterone deficiency diagnosed?

Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr

In brief: History and Labs

History indicates this may be present.
Any male suffering fatigue and having erectile dysfunction should have testosterone levels. I like to use both total testosterone and free testosterone levels to verify deficiency. I also get a psa (prostate cancer blood test) to make sure prostate cancer is not present prior to starting testosterone replacement in someone proven to need it.

In brief: History and Labs

History indicates this may be present.
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Michael Sinclair

In brief: Blood test

If you have the symptoms, then blood tests will likely confirm a low testosterone.
One word of caution, if you have a very high sex hormone binding globulin level, you will still have symptoms of low t even though your total t is normal.

In brief: Blood test

Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr. Arnon Rubin