My sister has bronchitis. What should I tell her?

Dr. Barry Bergman

In brief: Don't Worry

Bronchitis is infalmation of the large bronchi (breathing tubes) of our upper part of our airway.
Most are caused by a virus in pediatrics but can be caused by a bacteria in some. It causes you to cough. Those caused by a virus will go away in time without madication. Asthma is a type of bronchitis too.

In brief: Don't Worry

Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Barry Bergman
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Acute bronchitis?

There are 2 kinds of bronchitis: acute and chronic.
If your sister has acute bronchitis, she likely has cold sxs associated with a cough productive of sputum and she may have fever/body aches. It is caused by bacteria or virus and it usually resolves in a few days. If she has chronic bronchitis, a form of copd, she has a cough w/ sputum and no cold sxs. If she has this, no smoking, see her doc.

In brief: Acute bronchitis?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology