Having a problem with constipation. I will go 4-9 days without a bowel movement, but when i go my stool is soft or extremely loose. ?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Impaction

Typically we think of constipation as having difficulty passing a stool.
That's true but not the whole truth. Some people, typically elderly, can get so constipated that they develop an impaction whereby the stool is stuck in place and only soft liquid diarrheal stool can get by. The only ways to determine this are by physical exam or x-ray (kub) demonstrating impaction.

In brief: Impaction

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Constipation

This is definitely not normal.
Do you take any over-the-counter laxatives or supplements not listed under your medications? You will need to have a work up done, possibly ct scan, colonoscopy, bloodwork. Discuss it with your doc.

In brief: Constipation

This is definitely not normal.
Dr. Andrea Brand