What are the advantages and disadvantages of different treatments for candidiasis?

Dr. CESAR HOLGADO

In brief: Candidiasis

I presume you are pertaining to vaginal candidiasis.
If it is, there are oral and topical medications that can be used for the condition. Oral medications are usually single dose treatments. They are however, metabolized in the liver. One of its side effects may be liver toxicity. Absorption is also a factor which may limit its effectivity. Vaginal creams can be messy to some people.

In brief: Candidiasis

Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
I agree !
Dr. Nicole Bullock

In brief: Pill vs. cream

The two most common treatments for vaginal candidiasis are 1.
Diflucan (or fluconazole) or 2. Terazole (terconazole). Diflucan is usually given as a single dose oral pill. Terazole is a vaginal cream dosed as either a 3 day or 7 day treatment. Terazole is the preferred med during pregnancy. As a vaginal cream, some patients complain about the mess. Both are equally effective.

In brief: Pill vs. cream

Dr. Nicole Bullock
Dr. Nicole Bullock
Dr. Cindy Juster