I am having an ultrasound guided injection for my painful trochanteric bursitis. What does this procedure involve? Will i be laid up?

Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Minor and no

It is a simple injection of a numbing agent (lidocaine) and a non-water soluble (e.
g., not dexamethasone) injection into the inflamed sacs causing you pain. If done properly, pain relief should be immediate.

In brief: Minor and no

Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Bursitis

This should be a simple and quick procedure.
The doctor will localize the area to inject with an ultrasound machine. A small handheld wand is place over your skin and connected to a visual monitor. Then an injection of cortisone with be injected into the area after an anesthetic is used. You should be able walk out of the office and your pain should improve.

In brief: Bursitis

Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine