What if someone has anaphylaxis and they are allergic to epinephrine? Also, is it possible to be epinephrine resistant?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not possible

I know of no one who is allergic to Epinephrine even though you may get shaking or rapid heart beats from it.
However i would take the side effects anytime if I have an anaphylactic reaction. If the anaphylaxis is severe and the treatment is delayed, you may not respond to Epinephrine alone and IV fluid may well be needed.

In brief: Not possible

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: Impossible

You cannot be allergic to epinephrine.
That is impossible. Your body makes Epinephrine naturally and it is necessary to survive. You cannot be Epinephrine resistant. When you are given a shot of epinephrine, it last between 2 and 5 minutes max. So, it will wear off. The point in anaphylaxis is to stop the allergic cascade that happens.

In brief: Impossible

You cannot be allergic to epinephrine.
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine