Are there steps I can take to prevent getting cervical cancer?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: You bet!
First, if you are under 30, get gardisil, hpv vaccine; if you have never had a sexual relationship, it is very unusual to get cervical cancer, but you should be checked with a pap smear annually.
If you have made the choice to have sex, choose partner carefully, practice safe sex (condom from beginning to end) until you want to procreate as well as recreate. Limit partners. Pap annually.

In brief: You bet!
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: Annual exams
We see vary few cervical cancers in women who have their annual exams and routine pap smears.
The exam and pap does not prevent cervical cancer, but it does allow for detection of abnormal cells that can result in simple treatment to prevent the progression to cervial cancer. All of the cervical cancers that I have seen in my practice were in women who had not had a pap smear in many years.

In brief: Annual exams
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham