Want to get on with my life. How is carpal tunnel syndrome diagnosed? When can treatment start?

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery
In brief: Several options
Diagnosis is made by a thorough history and physical exam and typically a confirmatory EMG/NCS.
Options include wrist splints, anti-inflammatory medications, and local steroid injections. If these conservative treatment options fail, surgery is usually effective.

In brief: Several options
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery
In brief: Diagnosis is by...
...History, exam & electromyography.
When treatment starts is up to you: whenever you see your hand/ plastic surgeon.

In brief: Diagnosis is by...
...History, exam & electromyography.
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Shon Cook
Neurosurgery
In brief: Up to you
Carpal tunnel syndrome is diagnosed with nerve conduction studies, usually done by a neurologist.
Treatment ranges from wearing splints, to injections, to surgery. I have been treating carpal tunnel syndrome endoscopically for over 7 years. There is no incision on the hand, no bandage or splint to wear, and no activity restrictions after surgery, so my patients can go back to work the next day.

In brief: Up to you
Dr. Shon Cook
Dr. Shon Cook
Dr. Adam Lewis
Endoscopic carpal tunnel release is a safe alternative to open carpal tunnel release. The endoscopic approach provides a much faster recovery too.
Dr. Julian Bragg
Neurology
In brief: Start treatment now
Carpal tunnel syndrome is definitively diagnosed with a combination of examination findings and electrical testing (specifically an EMG and nerve conduction study).
The initial treatment, is wearing a neutral position wrist splint at night to prevent pressure buildup in the carpal tunnel.

In brief: Start treatment now
Dr. Julian Bragg
Dr. Julian Bragg
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery