I always forget to ask my doctor about how to prevent breast carcinoma. Are there some steps I should be taking?

Diet exercise. Low fat diet and keeping your weight down may help. Avoid a lot of alcohol. Probably should not take estrogen replacement continually for many years. Remember that 1 in 7 women get breast cancer - and most can't be prevented. Get your mammograms. In this case, early detection is a reality and prevention is only a hope.
Facetious answer.. Have a late menarche, be pregnant a lot, have an early menopause, and select parents from a family that does not have breast or ovarian cancer. Screening after age 40 help early detection. Do not use birth control pills (iud ok) or postmenopausal estrogens. All are from genetics and estrogen stimulation. Some radically advise prophylactic bilateral mastectomy.
Some. About 1 in 8 women will develope breast cancer. There is probably little that you can do to decrease that risk. However, besides family history as a risk factor fo breast cancer - there is some increased risk in smokers, drinkers, and overweight women - factors you can modify to effect some decrease in your risk for breast cancer. For early detection do you mammograms as recommended.