My sister was diagnosed with cervical spine stenosis. What does this mean?

Dr. Stephen Gervin
Neurosurgery

Cervical spinal stenosis is the narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck usually caused by overgrowth of bone (arthritis).

Dr. Stephen Gervin
Dr. Stephen Gervin
Dr. Sean MacKenzie
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Narrowing

Spinal stenosis is a narrowing of the canal where the spinal cord and nerves travel from the brain down through the spine.
Cervical means neck. Most commonly, this is caused by age-related degeneration of the spine, including disc bulging, bone spurring and thickening of a ligament in the spine. It can cause pressure on the nerves, causing pain, numbness and weakness.

In brief: Narrowing

Dr. Sean MacKenzie
Dr. Sean MacKenzie
Dr. Craig Morton
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Narrowing

Cervical spinal stenosis is the narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck.
This is usually caused by age-related changes in the shape of the spinal canal and so is most common in people older than age 50. I some cases the spinal canal narrows and can squeeze and compress the nerve roots where they leave the spinal cord , or it may irritate or injure the spinal cord itself.

In brief: Narrowing

Dr. Craig Morton
Dr. Craig Morton
Dr. Marsha Davis