When I was little, my dad had charcot-marie-tooth. My mom used to worry about it. Can you tell me if we still need to worry now that he is older?

Dr. Howard Gollup

In brief: Not sure of question

I'm a little uncertain about some aspects of the question--you said when you were "little your dad had c-m-t".
Not sure if you saying he no longer has it, or he is no longer with you. It is not something that goes away, and if that has seemed to be the case, re-evaluation is in order. There are a number of different types, and seeing a neurologist familiar with the genetics of it may be useful.

In brief: Not sure of question

Dr. Howard Gollup
Dr. Howard Gollup
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Slow progression

CMT can be a very slowly progressive diosrder with major manifestration of a peripheral nerve disorder. Feet are most effected.
He should be followed by a physiatrist or orthopedist who can keep track of the progression of the diosrder.

In brief: Slow progression

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Scott McLean
Clinical Genetics

In brief: Not sure

Charcot-marie-tooth (cmt) neuropathy is a condition that affects nerves and usually gets slowly worse over time.
There are dozens of kinds of CMT - some are very mild, some more severe. Your dad should be re-examined by a neurologist. She will ask you about your family history, may want to test his nerves, and may want to send some genetic tests. This link may help: http://www.Cmtausa.Org/.

In brief: Not sure

Dr. Scott McLean
Dr. Scott McLean
Dr. Cindy Juster