My mother works long hours so I can go to college. When I ask about her, she says she likes to help me. Now she says her doctor told her weeks ago she has chronic granulomatous disease. What will that do to her?

Dr. Cindy Juster
In brief: Please see below.
I advise having a meeting with you, her doctor, and her -- it would be unusual for someone to be diagnosed with this at her age, but there are other very different conditions with similar names.
Cgd symptom onset is usually in infancy or childhood, and 90% of patients with it are males. Her doctor can tell you what her diagnosis is, and what its impact on her will be.

In brief: Please see below.
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Javier Chinen
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma
In brief: Testing needed
Chronic granulomatous disease is diagnosed with specialized testing checking the function of white cells, it is confirmed with a dna test.
Women might have a milder form of the disease, according to the degree of white cell function, the patient would be susceptible to certin infections. This is a congenital condition, her history of infections can tell how susceptible she is to them.

In brief: Testing needed
Dr. Javier Chinen
Dr. Javier Chinen
Dr. Jane Van Dis