I live in a college town with many healers who use Asian treatments. Will they work on chronic myelogenous leukemia?

Dr. David Masiello
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: No

CML is a very treatable disease today with drugs like sprycel, gleevec, and tasigna (nilotinib).
Patients can essentially expect a normal life expectancy for CML today, vs a median survial of 5 years prior to these therapies.

In brief: No

Dr. David Masiello
Dr. David Masiello
Dr. David Rizzieri

In brief: Depends.....

I have great respect for their philosophy.
By 'asian' healers you likely mean traditional therapy and not western pills, and we should remember that some of our best 'chemotherapies' come from tree bark and roots learned from their traditional remedies... However, please understand that we are not aware of any data of these treating CML and the pills available provide amazing benefits for quality.

In brief: Depends.....

Dr. David Rizzieri
Dr. David Rizzieri
Dr. Peter Kurzweil