When I was growing up, we just worried about cuts and scrapes. Now it seems my grandkids have friends with all sorts of conditions. Latest one is c diff infection. I've never heard of that.?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: It's a dirty world
C. Diff is a bacteria can normally live in colon.
Can overgrow, make toxin that causes watery diarrhea; might be mild, but can be life threatening severe, with bleeding, bowel perforation, disseminated infection (sepsis), multi organ failure, death. Risk factors: antibiotic use (even short term, and 2 mos ago), hospitalization, nursing home, ibd, preg. Wash ur hands with soap and h2o.Purell n/g.

In brief: It's a dirty world
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Martin Raff
Particularly pathogenic strains of this organism are now present in large numbers of health care facilities. When patients get home they are at risk of transmitting these to intimate family members. It is now important for doctors to consider this a potential cause of all cases of diarrhea.
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Complicated
Clostridium difficile is a bacteria which produces toxins which can damage the wall of the bowel and create diarrhea.
It has been most commonly associated with prior antibiotic use, but not necessarily. This is a bad actor.

In brief: Complicated
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care