My father had bleeding in brain, still in the hospital. What is a stroke, a bleeding or clot in the brain?

Both. Both bleeding and clot in artery are strokes. Bleeding strokes are less common seen in 15% cases. Treatment is different for both stroke types.
Actually, both. Stroke implies a rather sudden decrease in blood flow to a portion of the brain, and the definition includes a local clot or thrombosis, but also, a distal clot or embolism. However, the term may include intracranial bleeding due to a complication of a clot, but also, a ruptured blood vessel. We really are implying death of brain tissue secondary to blood vessel dysfnctn of any type.