5 doctors weighed in:

So what are the symptoms of barretts esophagus?

5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Dean Giannone
Internal Medicine
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Barrett's.

This is a change in the esophagus in response to longstanding reflux.
It is a precancerous change which requires frequent surveillance EGDs to make sure cancer is not developing. It does not cause symptoms, but you would have symptoms from longstanding reflux.

In brief: Barrett's.

This is a change in the esophagus in response to longstanding reflux.
It is a precancerous change which requires frequent surveillance EGDs to make sure cancer is not developing. It does not cause symptoms, but you would have symptoms from longstanding reflux.
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Thank
Dr. Navdeep Gill
Pathology
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Barrett's symptoms

Barretts esophagus in and of itself is asymptomatic and diagnosed by a combination of endoscopic findings and presence of intestinal metaplasia from an esophageal biopsy specimen.
75% of patient's typically have prolonged (e.g. 10 year) history of reflux symptoms (e.g. Heartburn and regurgitations) and the remaining 25% are discovered at endoscopy and have never had esophageal reflux symptoms.

In brief: Barrett's symptoms

Barretts esophagus in and of itself is asymptomatic and diagnosed by a combination of endoscopic findings and presence of intestinal metaplasia from an esophageal biopsy specimen.
75% of patient's typically have prolonged (e.g. 10 year) history of reflux symptoms (e.g. Heartburn and regurgitations) and the remaining 25% are discovered at endoscopy and have never had esophageal reflux symptoms.
Dr. Navdeep Gill
Dr. Navdeep Gill
Thank
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology

In brief: Heart burn

Heart burn, chest pain, difficulty swallowing, hoarseness, lung infection, anemia from bleeding.

In brief: Heart burn

Heart burn, chest pain, difficulty swallowing, hoarseness, lung infection, anemia from bleeding.
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery
27 years in practice
3M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors