My mom tried to teach us ways to stay healthy, but I got c diff infection. Why is that?

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis

In brief: C. difficile

Any antibiotic can potentially upset the balance of "good" bacteria & "bad" ones; clostridium difficile is one of the bad ones; it produces a toxin that causes severe diarrhea.
Other antibiotics are required to get the c. Difficile back under control. Recently, it was reported that long-term use of proton pump inhibitors for gerd may facilitate c. Difficile.

In brief: C. difficile

Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Omega Edwards, m.d.
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Don't Blame Momma

The colons of some earthlings have clostridium difficile strains that secrete excessive amounts of toxin.
This toxin is what causes the colon to become inflammed and results in diarrhea. You may have picked up one of these strains. The non-toxin producers (already found in your gut) will keep the bad ones in check. (counting on my id colleagues to help - i ran out of letters)!

In brief: Don't Blame Momma

Dr. Omega Edwards, m.d.
Dr. Omega Edwards, m.d.
Dr. Arnon Rubin