Just diagnosed with barretts esophagus. Had many questions on the way home but doctor is gone now. Can you tell me about the condition?

Newly dx'ed Barretts. Barrett's esophagus is not something to play around with! barrett's epithelium occurs as a terminal event in those with chronic gerd. Barrett's patients risks cancer of the esophagus. Poorly treated barrett's can progress by replacing more & more of the esophagus lining, & can become dysplastic. Barrett's warrants surveillance endoscopy, aggressive acid suppression, & maybe ablation &/or surgery.
Gastic reflux. Barrett's esophagus is the result of damage to the lining of esophagus from gastric acid and enzymes backing up into the esophagus. Over time it can lead to cancer. Initial treatment is with antacids but may require surgery depending on the defects and extent of damage.