I am so worried. My kids only need to see the doctor for sports physicals. Now one has celiac disease. What should I say, in terms of effects on health and well-being?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Be honest

Celiac disease can in some cases affect performance with fatigue and side effects of medication.
Sports physicals are designed (hopefully) to try and find out about serious risks such as impending heart stoppage, asthma and aspects of physical fragility which would render athletic performance hazardous. Celiac disease is not one of those.

In brief: Be honest

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Jonathan Jassey