Are there effective alternative therapies for severe vomiting from pregnancy?

Dr. Douglas Lawson

In brief: Some alternatives

There are a variety of things including dietary changes, biofeedback, accupuncture, otc emetrol, vit b6 which may help.
I usually suggest a brat diet (bread, rice, applesauce, tea and toast) and ask patients to remain sitting up for 30-60 minutes after a meal and eat 6-8 small snack like meals a day because of reflux. Keeping a food diary and noting what you keep down helps too.

In brief: Some alternatives

Dr. Douglas Lawson
Dr. Douglas Lawson
2 comments
Dr. Walter Kobasa
Usually these work but if not various prescription medications like phergan zofran or others might be needed.
Dr. Carlos Quezada
Other less scientific methods include SEABANDs, accupuncture, pressure point therapy, etc. Ginger in your food, smaller more frequent meals and realization that you will still sometimes throw up helps. Also knowing that most women will escape this period on their own may help.

In brief: May try herbal teas

You can try ginger, raspberry leaf, chamomile or some of the mint family teas.
If you use ginger, grate about a teaspoon of ginger and place it in a tea ball. Add boiling water and cover for 10 minutes. You can add a bit of lemon and honey if you like. Ginger ale. Or you can freeze the teas in ice cube trays and suck on them as needed. Eat small frequent meals, eat complex carbs. Avoid odors.

In brief: May try herbal teas

Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Douglas Lawson
I agree with the above. I tend to tell my patients to eat a BRAT diet (bread rice, applesauce, tea and toast) small meals only. Keep a food diary if you like to see what you tolerate. Your doctor may want to add medication to prevent nausea and an H2 blocker like zantac or pepcid may be of some value as well if you having lots of heartburn too.